IMPORTANT: Want to have this course SCA certified? Please ensure you also add the SCA Certification fee.
Course Name: Barista Skills – Foundation
If you’re the new kid on the block when it comes to the art of using a commercial coffee machine, this is the perfect course for you. We understand that you may not be a coffee connoisseur, but have no fear, this course will leave you feeling confident to operate coffee machines and calibrate grinders.
Duration: 1 day (9:30am – 3:30pm)
Skill Level: Beginner
Qualification: 5 SCA points
SCA Certification Fee: £55 – Go to the Certification product page to separately add this fee to your basket.
What will I learn?
- Coffee Beans – Recognise key differences between Arabica & Robusta coffee beans. Learn how to correctly store coffee for prolonged freshness.
- Workspace management – Understanding how to maintain a hygienic and organised workspace which minimises waste.
- Grinding, dosing and tamping – Identify all key espresso machine and grinder component parts. Learn how to calibrate a grinder and correctly tamp of the perfect coffee.
- Extraction and brewing – Recognise the key defining parameters of an espresso used within SCA examinations. Understand how to prepare and make a superb espresso.
- Milk techniques – Demonstrating the appropriate technique for producing the correct milk texture and temperature.
- Barista menu – Understanding the measures of milk and texture found in different coffees.
- Hygiene, health & safety – Acquiring knowledge on the use of safe and hygienic work practices.
- Customer service – Recognising the importance of the four aspects of customer service.
- Cleaning, maintenance & troubleshooting – Learning and demonstrating good techniques for daily cleaning of the grinder and espresso machine.
Maximum class size: 6
Location: Hej Coffee, 1 Bermondsey Square, Bermondsey, London, England, SE1 3UN.