IMPORTANT: Want to have this course SCA certified? Please ensure you also add the SCA Certification fee.
Course Name: Barista Skills – Foundation
If you’re the new kid on the block when it comes to the art of using a commercial coffee machine, this is the perfect course for you. We understand that you may not be a coffee connoisseur, but have no fear, this course will leave you feeling confident to operate coffee machines and calibrate grinders.
Duration: 1 day (10am – 3:30pm)
Skill Level: Beginner
Qualification: 5 SCA points
SCA Certification Fee: £55 – Go to the Certification product page to separately add this fee to your basket.
What will I learn?
- Coffee Beans – Recognise key differences between Arabica & Robusta coffee beans. Learn how to correctly store coffee for prolonged freshness.
- Workspace management – Understanding how to maintain a hygienic and organised workspace which minimises waste.
- Grinding, dosing and tamping – Identify all key espresso machine and grinder component parts. Learn how to calibrate a grinder and correctly tamp of the perfect coffee.
- Extraction and brewing – Recognise the key defining parameters of an espresso used within SCA examinations. Understand how to prepare and make a superb espresso.
- Milk techniques – Demonstrating the appropriate technique for producing the correct milk texture and temperature.
- Barista menu – Understanding the measures of milk and texture found in different coffees.
- Hygiene, health & safety – Acquiring knowledge on the use of safe and hygienic work practices.
- Customer service – Recognising the importance of the four aspects of customer service.
- Cleaning, maintenance & troubleshooting – Learning and demonstrating good techniques for daily cleaning of the grinder and espresso machine.
Maximum class size: 6
Location: Hej Coffee, 1 Bermondsey Square, Bermondsey, London, England, SE1 3UN.
Terms and conditions: Must love coffee, tea drinkers welcome if numbers are low! See full terms and conditions and cancellation policy. Also, don’t forget to read our Frequently Asked Questions.
Who is the SCA? The Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) is a non-profit, membership-based association built on foundations of openness, inclusivity, and the power of shared knowledge. From coffee farmers to baristas and roasters, our membership spans the globe, encompassing every element of the coffee value chain. SCA acts as a unifying force within the specialty coffee industry and works to make coffee better by raising standards worldwide through a collaborative and progressive approach. Dedicated to building an industry that is fair, sustainable, and nurturing for all, SCA draws on years of insights and inspiration from the specialty coffee community.
Why should you complete an SCA course? SCA’s Education programs are here to help you develop your passion and sharpen your skills. These programmes offer high-quality coffee education for every stage of your professional career.
Due to SCA’s international recognition their courses are perfect to put on your CV or to boost your career. Upon completion of a course you will find a new sense of coffee confidence and experience a caffeine high on knowledge.
You will notice that on every course there is the option to pay for ‘certification’. The reason for this is to work towards your SCA Diploma.
Each course is worth a certain amount of points and once you achieve 100 points you will be sent your very own diploma.
All of our barista courses are running. Due to COVID we are working with customers to be flexible with our course dates. Once a course is purchased you will be contacted to arrange the start date of your course. If you have any queries about availability please enquire.
To comply with government guidelines we have put in safety measures to ensure all our participants are safe while taking the course:
- When indoors a face mask must be worn at all times.
- The max number of participants for each course is 2 (one person per machine).
- Social distancing must be maintained at all times.
- Contact information must be recorded for track and trace.
- Regular cleaning of all Equipment.
- Regular hand washing/sanitation.
COVID 19 instructions, please tell us if:
- You have a new persistent cough and/or a fever within the last 7 days?
- You or anyone in your family had a new persistent cough and/or fever within the last 14 days?
- You have experienced a loss or change of sense of smell or taste?
- Your course will be cancelled if you are found to have symptoms.