IMPORTANT: Want to have this course SCA certified? Please ensure you also add the SCA Certification fee.
Course Name: Barista Skills – Intermediate
This course is designed for those who have a base knowledge on coffee and how to operate a commercial coffee machine. If this isn’t you, it may be better to start off with our foundation course.
For those budding baristas taking this course you will be tested on your core knowledge while developing advanced skills. This will include dialling in multiple coffees efficiently while still styling out coffee art.
Duration: 2 days (10am – 4:30pm)
Skill Level: Intermediate.
Qualification: 10 SCA points
SCA Certification Fee: £90 members. £160 non-members. Go to the Certification product pages to separately add this fee to your basket.
What will I learn?
- Coffee beans – Name varieties and origins of the blend/single origin being used and describe how the processing method affects coffee’s flavour and body.
- Workspace management – Understand how to maintain a hygienic and organised workspace which minimises waste. Analyse and place all equipment and accessories to achieve efficient, logical workflow. Perform the concepts of “double baring”.
- Grinding, dosing and tamping – Discuss differences and effects to the dose between a dose/traditional grinder and a doserless/grind on demand grinder.
- Extraction and brewing – Identify heightened acidity of under-extraction, and heightened bitterness of over- extraction, and the balance with sweetness achieved with a good extraction. Learn how to correct imbalance by changing dose quantity, grind texture, water temperature and water quantity.
- Milk techniques – Recognise and demonstrate the required quality of foam in line with SCA Foam Quality Guide. Demonstrate foaming milk alternatives to achieve the right texture and temperature and describe the limitations of some alternatives to be able to foam (e.g. rice milk). Freepour latte art pattern consistently to a reasonable standard or higher as set out in the SCA Latte Art Standards.
- Barista menu – Prepare multiple beverages at different ratios of espresso to milk (from traditional macchiato to latte) and describe the difference in taste. Prepare a complex order of 4 beverages to a consistently high standard quickly and efficiently – within 5 minutes.
- Hygiene, health & safety – Implement policies and procedures for hygiene and safety, taking local laws and manufacturer’s instructions into consideration.
- Customer service – Steps of service recovery / complaint handling. Learn how to meet customer’s needs while retaining awareness of café standards. Demonstrate good techniques to provide a high standard of customer service when preparing orders for customers.
- Cleaning, maintenance & troubleshooting – Learn the importance of good techniques for daily cleaning of the grinder and espresso machine. Understand the difference between single and multiple boiler espresso machines.
- Café management – Awareness of costs involved in preparing and serving espresso beverages (cost of ingredients, including wastage). Demonstrate the correct way to store ingredients correctly to prevent spoilage.
Maximum class size: 4
Location: Hej Coffee, 1 Bermondsey Square, Bermondsey, London, England, SE1 3UN.