Course Name: Hej Barista Basics
Hej’s Barista Basics will give you the knowledge and confidence to enter your workplace like the Boss you are! This course is ideal for everyone. Let us introduce you into the world of coffee. We will cover everything from bean origin to producing the latte art of champions. Although this course is not SCA accredited it will be held by our top notch SCA trainer and fast track you though the basics needed in any barista position.
Duration: 2 days (9:00am – 4:00pm)
Skill Level: Beginner/intermediate
Qualification: Hej Certification
What will I learn?
- Hej’s Coffee Beans – Learn what is in our Carnival Blend that makes it so special. This is also to understand the origin on the coffee and how it arrives in our cafes.
- Workspace management – Understanding how to maintain a hygienic and organised workspace which minimises waste.
- Coffee machine lingo – Expand your vocabulary with all the coffee lingo you’ll need to feel confident in the workplace.
- Grinder calibration – Calibrate grinders to the Hej espresso recipe whilst developing techniques used to load portafilters correctly, to a Hej brand standard. This will also include how to take apart a grinder and reassemble. Understand the relationship of grind size and extraction.
- Extraction / Brewing – Understand the importance of coffee recipes and the key sensory qualities during stages of extraction. Understand how to prepare and make a superb espresso. Learn how to correct imbalance by changing dose quantity, grind texture, water temperature and water quantity.
- Milk steaming – Step by step explanation of how to steam a range of milks. Perfect your technique in order to achieve a silky milk texture every time.
- Latte art – Learn from demonstration, how to create impeccable latte art. This will focus on shapes such as the heart, tulip, rosetta and Swan (if your naturally talented)
- Drink construction – Prepare multiple beverages at different ratios of espresso to milk (from traditional macchiato to latte) and describe the difference in taste. Prepare a complex order of 4 beverages to a consistently high standard quickly and efficiently – within 5 minutes.
- Machine maintenance – Acquire knowledge of how to perform machine maintenance and routine cleaning on a range of machines and accessories. This includes grinders, groupheads, milk jugs, portafilters and drip trays.
- Alternative brewing methods – Learn how different brewing methods result in different flavours and textures. Coffee from brewing methods such as V60, Chemex, Aeropress, Coffee Queen and Cold brew will be tested with a refractometer to demonstrate the difference in brewing techniques.
Maximum class size: 8
Location: Hej Coffee, 1 Bermondsey Square, Bermondsey, London, England, SE1 3UN.