IMPORTANT: Want to have this course SCA certified? Please ensure you also add the SCA Certification fee.
Course Name: Introduction to Coffee
Introduction to coffee is ideal for anyone who is new or looking to get into the coffee industry. The course follows coffee’s journey from its origins to your cup. This half day course also includes a coffee cupping to develop your taste buds and help you recognise every flavour in your brew.
Duration: Half a day
Skill Level: Beginner
Qualification: 10 SCA points
SCA Certification Fee: £55 – Go to the Certification product page to separately add this fee to your basket.
What will I learn?
- What is speciality coffee? – Learn the difference between freshly brewed coffee and instant coffee. Including the identification of key aspects of speciality coffee.
- Coffee history – Understand coffees origins and its development throughout the world.
- Understanding the beans – Identify the basic structure of the coffee cherry and its species. Understand how climate, geographical position, altitude and soil conditions can change a coffee’s taste profile.
- The basics of roasting – Outline the main steps of the roasting process and the equipment used. Understanding the changes in which the beans go through and how acidity diminishes, and bitterness increases throughout the roasting process.
- Coffee freshness – Identify the factors that affect freshness and have an impact on coffee quality.
- Brewing basics – Recognise the range of different equipment and methods available to brew coffee. This includes the standard quantity of coffee and water used for filter and espresso. Understanding how the grind will affect the extraction process.
- Drinks menu – Learning all common drinks produced with coffee such as espresso, cappuccino, latte, americano, filter/brewed coffee, and describe their content.
Maximum class size: 10
Location: Hej Coffee, 1 Bermondsey Square, Bermondsey, London, England, SE1 3UN.