IMPORTANT: Want to have this course SCA certified? Please ensure you also add the SCA Certification fee.
Course Name: Introduction to Coffee
Introduction to coffee is ideal for anyone who is new or looking to get into the coffee industry. The course follows coffee’s journey from its origins to your cup. This half day course also includes a coffee cupping to develop your taste buds and help you recognise every flavour in your brew.
Duration: One day course. 10am – 3pm
Skill Level: Beginner
Qualification: 10 SCA points
SCA Certification Fee: £55 – Go to the Certification product page to separately add this fee to your basket.
What will I learn?
- What is speciality coffee? – Learn the difference between freshly brewed coffee and instant coffee. Including the identification of key aspects of speciality coffee.
- Coffee history – Understand coffees origins and its development throughout the world.
- Understanding the beans – Identify the basic structure of the coffee cherry and its species. Understand how climate, geographical position, altitude and soil conditions can change a coffee’s taste profile.
- The basics of roasting – Outline the main steps of the roasting process and the equipment used. Understanding the changes in which the beans go through and how acidity diminishes, and bitterness increases throughout the roasting process.
- Coffee freshness – Identify the factors that affect freshness and have an impact on coffee quality.
- Brewing basics – Recognise the range of different equipment and methods available to brew coffee. This includes the standard quantity of coffee and water used for filter and espresso. Understanding how the grind will affect the extraction process.
- Drinks menu – Learning all common drinks produced with coffee such as espresso, cappuccino, latte, americano, filter/brewed coffee, and describe their content.
Maximum class size: 10
Location: Hej Coffee, 1 Bermondsey Square, Bermondsey, London, England, SE1 3UN.
Terms and conditions: Must love coffee, tea drinkers welcome if numbers are low! See full terms and conditions and cancellation policy. Also don’t forget to read our Frequently Asked Questions.
Who is the SCA? The Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) is a non-profit, membership-based association built on foundations of openness, inclusivity, and the power of shared knowledge. From coffee farmers to baristas and roasters, our membership spans the globe, encompassing every element of the coffee value chain. SCA acts as a unifying force within the specialty coffee industry and works to make coffee better by raising standards worldwide through a collaborative and progressive approach. Dedicated to building an industry that is fair, sustainable, and nurturing for all, SCA draws on years of insights and inspiration from the specialty coffee community.
Why should you complete an SCA course? SCA’s Education programs are here to help you develop your passion and sharpen your skills. These programmes offer high-quality coffee education for every stage of your professional career.
Due to SCA’s international recognition their courses are perfect to put on your CV or to boost your career. Upon completion of a course you will find a new sense of coffee confidence and experience a caffeine high on knowledge.
You will notice that on every course there is the option to pay for ‘certification’. The reason for this is to work towards your SCA Diploma.
Each course is worth a certain amount of points and once you achieve 100 points you will be sent your very own diploma.
All of our barista courses are running. Due to COVID we are working with customers to be flexible with our course dates. Once a course is purchased you will be contacted to arrange the start date of your course. If you have any queries about availability please enquire.
To comply with government guidelines we have put in safety measures to ensure all our participants are safe while taking the course:
- When indoors a face mask must be worn at all times.
- The max number of participants for each course is 2 (one person per machine).
- Social distancing must be maintained at all times.
- Contact information must be recorded for track and trace.
- Regular cleaning of all Equipment.
- Regular hand washing/sanitation.
COVID 19 instructions, please tell us if:
- You have a new persistent cough and/or a fever within the last 7 days?
- You or anyone in your family had a new persistent cough and/or fever within the last 14 days?
- You have experienced a loss or change of sense of smell or taste?
- Your course will be cancelled if you are found to have symptoms.